Karen Karbo is a New York Times best selling author. Here are some of her tips on how to become a successful writer:
1. Rule #1 for success: Be fun to be with. Be nice to everyone.
2. If you want to quit your day job, throw your net wide. Take as many different writing jobs as you can.
3. You won’t come across luck if you don’t open yourself up to possibilities. Keep sending your work out, you never know where that may lead.
4. Making your living as a writer means lean years as well as fat years.
5. Whenever you write for free, you need to be clear why you are doing it. Flattery is not a reason.
6. The power you have as a writer comes from the things only you can say. You always want to write from your strongest place, what you care most about.
7. Sometimes putting one foot in front of the other is the best thing you can do.
8. Writers are usually outsiders. That’s why they’re writers.
To celebrate Australian Father’s Day, my book ‘five minute sci-fi stories’ will be free all weekend on Amazon. Please share the link with anyone you think might like some free science fiction stories: https://www.amazon.com/five-minute-sci-fi-stories-one-ebook/dp/B074DTTGN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504250859&sr=8-1&keywords=five+minute+scifi